The Friends of the Mt Shasta Avalanche Center is seeking applicants for the Executive Director position. See below for details.
Position: Executive Director
Reports to: FMSAC Board of Directors
Closing Date: September 27th, 2020
Salary: Annual compensation ranges from $10,000 to $12,000 per year
Work schedule: Part time, remote, and flexible schedule. Evenings and weekends as required.
To Apply: If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter and resume, including references, to Hanne Meyers by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “FMSAC Executive Director” in the subject line of your email.
The Mount Shasta Avalanche Center (MSAC) was founded in 1998 and is operated as a partnership between the Shasta Trinity National Forest and the community based nonprofit 501(c)3 Friends of the Mount Shasta Avalanche Center (FMSAC). FMSAC was created in 2002 as a grassroots endeavor to sustain our local avalanche center, and to keep safe those that find their soul in the freedom of our mountains.
To Enrich the Mount Shasta backcountry experience by providing professional forecasting, real-time information, and avalanche safety training.
Position Summary & Duties
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the executive director is responsible for overall management and operation of FMSAC and protection of the organization’s financial assets while ensuring compliance with board directives and applicable federal and state requirements. Represent the organization and its mission while being a motivating force for the Board, staff, partners, members and media.
Due to the seasonal nature of the position, the executive director generally works 10 to 20 hours per week December through March and approximately 10 to 20 hours per month April through November.
Work with Bookkeeper on Federal and State nonprofit compliance and administration
- Tax filings.
- Annual registration requirements.
- Fundraising forms.
- Maintain 501c3 record documentation and history.
- Insurance compliance.
Work with Bookkeeper on Financial Recordkeeping To
- Maintain bank account, current checkbook and transaction history.
- Manage Forest Service/OHV grant invoicing.
- Maintain current and past records of membership
- Update annual email listings for advisory
- Member contact, renewal and information gathering
- New member solicitation
Marketing/ Event promotion
- Manage social media outreach
- Newspaper press releases
- Radio announcements
- Community outreach through like-minded organizations
- Posters /brochures/signs/business cards/flyers/stickers
- Local store material distribution
- Logo wear and gear inventory, shipping and ordering
- Work with website manager to update, maintain and expand website
- Hosting administration and maintenance
- Grant writing
- Email, mail, phone solicitation
- Coordinate all aspects of event organization including
- Liquor license
Forest Service Liaison
- Project collaboration
- Meetings with Forest Service staff as needed
General office administration
- Prepare forms, spreadsheets and documents to record information with Word and Excel
- Scan and/or PDF documents for securing, filing or distribution
- Maintain all digital and paper files and records in accessible and orderly format
- Post office/email
The ideal candidate will have a strong track record of leading a successful nonprofit organization or business. Experience in managing all aspects of a small, nimble operation, including program successful execution of fundraising, development and oversight, partner and stakeholder engagement, and financial management.
- A personal connection backcountry skiing and avalanche education.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study preferred.
- Experience managing the annual budget under the direction of the board of directors.
- Experienced in leading fundraising efforts, developing and managing budgets preferred.
- Experienced with organizational financial management.
- Demonstrated capabilities in strategic growth, board administration, team leadership, employee management, and effective internal and external communication.
- Knowledge, experience, and demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and Inclusion.
- Public speaking, relationship building and communication skills.
- Display professional and interpersonal relationship abilities, intercultural knowledge and appreciation, and strategic partnership building.
The ED should be proficient in the following areas:
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency with office software, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat Pro, QuickBooks Online.
- Proficiency with Mailchimp, SurveyMonkey, and other marketing platforms.
- Proficient use of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other social media platforms to meet organizational objectives.
- Ability to troubleshoot software and online systems.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants can send a cover letter and resume with references to Hanne Meyers at email@example.com. Please write “FMSAC Executive Director” in the subject line of your email.
Application period begins September 4th, 2020 and ends September 27th, 2020. Interviews will be conducted once the application period closes.
Position start date is negotiable but ideally will be October 12th, 2020.