You are here
Ash Creek Butte, Pilgrim Creek Snowmobile Park
Location Name:Ash Creek Butte
Region:East of Mt Shasta
Date and time of observation:Tue, 03/06/2018 - 9:00am
Observation made by:Professional Observer
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 27' 2.8836" N, 122° 1' 49.6092" W
Snowpack Observations @ Ash Creek Butte:
- Roller balls on sun-facing aspects (S, SE).
- Moist snow surfaces on sun exposed aspects (S, SE).
- Dry, settled snow in shady areas and northerly aspects.
- Similar snowpack structure to other areas of the forecast advisory.
- Small cornices on northerly aspects. Moderate to hard fractures with ski stomps.
- No obvious signs of instability.
- No signs of wind slab problem.
- Ski / Boot Penetration (PS / PB): 35 / 40 cm (14 / 16 in).
- Test snow pit profile on N aspect, 30 degree slope:
- Height of storm snow (HST): 100 cm (39 in), F - 4F - 1F hardness.
- CT21 ↓ 100 cm (39 in), Sudden Collapse (SC) - failed on melt/freeze crust atop 7 cm (3 in) of rounded facets.
- ECTX / ECTP30 ↓ 100cm (39 in) - failed on melt/freeze crust atop 7 cm of rounded facets.
- Pilgrim Creek Snowmobile Park open.
- Trails are groomed.
Cloud Cover:25% of the sky covered by clouds
Air temperature:Above Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static