You are here
Castle Lake / Bunny Flat / Green Butte Ridge
Castle Lake and Bunny Flat trailhead and conditions check / Public observation from treeline on Green Butte Ridge.
Gradually increasing clouds this morning led to showery rain and snow in the afternoon. Snow level was near 4,500 feet. Snow sticking on the ground near 5,000 feet. Full winter conditions at Castle Lake were observed late afternoon, snowing and blowing. New snow .5 to 1 inch. There has been a lot of westerly wind over the past 3 days. Today did not fall short. West winds have averaged 15 mi/hr with gusts to 55+ mi/hr. Over exposed terrain, wind has been blowing in some areas and calm in others. As of 1730, 0.08" of water / 1-2 inches snow has fallen on the mountain.
Today's small storm involved localized, short microbursts in the upper Sacramento drainage/Mt. Shasta area with nearly blue sky in between bursts. The north side of the mountain and Shasta Valley were clear most of the day. Small to medium-sized wind slabs were observed along Green Butte Ridge, no shooting cracks or blocking. That said, southeast aspects look loaded from fresh wind transport. Overall, visibility was tough.
- Observation Location: Castle Lake / Bunny Flat / Green Butte Ridge
- Elevation: 5,436 / 6,950 / 8,000 feet respectively
- Date: 20210106
- Time: 1400 - 1630
- Observer: Meyers
- Sky Conditions: Obscured (X)
- Current Precipitation: SN - S-1
- Air Temperature: Mid to high 20's °F
- Surface Penetration: n/a
- Total Snow Depth (HS): 22 in / 55 cm
- 24-hour New Snow Depth (HN24): 2 in / 5 cm
- 24-hour New Snow Water Equivalent (HN24W): 0.08 in / 0.2 cm
- Wind Direction: W/SW/NW - A lot of westerly over past 3 days
- Wind Speed: Light to moderate (Light (L), 1-16 mi/hr, twigs in motion | Moderate (M), 17-25 mi/hr, small trees sway)
- Column & Block Tests: n/a
The morning was mostly clear. Gradually increasing clouds rolled in and light snow began just before noon. Drove up to Castle Lake around 1530 hours, and it was snowing and blowing like crazy, full whiteout. Came back down the road and could see blue sky over Lake Siskiyou. Continued driving up the mountain and into light snow with calm wind. Off to the north, it looked clear most of the day. Most storm activity was limited to Mt. Shasta, the Sacramento drainage and west of I-5 in the Castle/Eddies area.