You are here
Conditions Below and Near Treeline
Location Name:Green Butte Ridge
Date and time of observation:Sun, 12/16/2018 - 2:00pm
Observation made by:Professional Observer
Red Flags:Recent loading by new snow, wind, or rain
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 21' 39.2544" N, 122° 13' 49.8072" W
Conditions below treeline along green butte ridge (2 p.m.):
- HN24: 5-15 cm (2-6 in).
- Moderate to strong S and E winds, transporting snow.
- Wind lips unreactive to ski cuts.
- ECTN13 ↓ 15 cm (6 in), failed below rain crust.
- Ski penetration (PS): 2-10 cm (1-4 in).
- Snow pack with right side up configuration.
- New snow moist to wet, well bonded to rain crust.
Conditions near treeline:
- HN24: 4-8 in.
- Widespread rain crust, stout in most places, breakable in some.
- New snow not well bonded to crust.
- Little wind affect on snow, no notable signs of wind slabs.
- New snow light and dry, starting near 7600 ft.
- No obvious signs of instability.
Cloud Cover:100% of the sky covered by clouds
Accumulation rate:Greater than 1 in. per hour
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Cooling