You are here
Conditions at Castle Lake
Castle Lake was a mixed bag. Snow surfaces ranged from firm and icy to sun softened cream. Consistency could not really be found. The upper bowl skied nicely for a second. Right peak can be traversed with a little bit of clever manzaneering. Left peak is bony and firm. Skiers with high standards may want to wait for the next storm.
The lake is frozen and supportable. Ice fishing is in. The trail to heart lake is well trodden. Check it out for a change of scenery or outdoor activity.
- Observation Location: Right, Middle, Left Peak, Castle Lake
- Date: 20210117
- Time: 1130
- Observer: Aaron Beverly
- Sky Conditions: Clear (CLR)
- Current Precipitation: None
- Air Temperature: 42 °F
- Surface Penetration: Ski penetration (PS) = 0-2 in ( cm)
- Total Snow Depth (HS): 22 in (55 cm)
- Wind Direction: NW
- Wind Speed: Light (L), 1-16 mi/hr, twigs in motion