You are here
Conditions on Gray Butte
Overcast skies and snowing .5 - 1 inch per hour on Gray Butte today.
- 1-3 inches of new snow over zipper crust and graupel in areas near treeline.
- Moderate to strong West wind.
- Supportable wind board on the ridgeline near and above treeline.
- Melt-freeze crust .5 inches thick under 15 inches of soft snow.
- Variable snow surfaces: firm and scoured, wind packed powder, dust on crust, soft powder in protected areas
- Low visibility 25-50 feet at times.
- No signs of instability
Test results: CTM - PC down 16 cm, CTH-RP down 16 cm, ECTX
Skies were mostly overcast for the day on Gray Butte. It was snowing at 1 inch per hour at times and less as the day warmed up. Visibility was low 25-50 feet at times near the top. The wind was blowing moderate with strong gusts out of the West.