You are here
Conditions on Mount Shasta
Location Name:Green Butte Ridge
Date and time of observation:Mon, 01/14/2019 - 3:30pm
Observation made by:Professional Observer
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 21' 42.2676" N, 122° 13' 46.776" W
Observations from a tour up Green Butte Ridge to above treeline.
- HS: 174 cm (67 in).
- Snow surface on east facing aspects and sun exposed areas: smooth supportable sun crust.
- Snow surface on north facing aspects and shady areas: 68 cm (27 inches) of well sintered rounded polyforms atop 5 cm (2 in) crust, ski penetration 5-10 cm, (2-5 in), boot penetration 20 cm (12 in). Hardness down to crust ranging from F to 4F to 1F to K.
- Snow surface above treeline on ridges and wide open wind exposed areas: sastruggis and scoured and icy surfaces.
- Snow surface under trees: hardened by melting falling snow.
- Stability test results on NW facing aspect, 7800 feet: ECTX.
Cloud Cover:75% of the sky covered by clouds
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static