You are here
Conditions Northeast of Mount Shasta
Location Name:Rainbow Mountain, NE of Ash Creek Butte
Region:East of Mt Shasta
Date and time of observation:Sun, 03/18/2018 - 10:00pm
Observation made by:Professional Observer
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 28' 56.6832" N, 121° 56' 45.7152" W
Observations during a tour from Pilgrim Creek Snowmobile Park to Rainbow Mountain, northeast of Ash Creek Butte:
- Snowpack configuration and snow depths similar to Mount Shasta area.
- Height of storm snow (HST) = 50 cm, height of snow (HS) = 150-200 cm.
- Ski cuts produced small dry loose avalanches/sloughing in steep north facing terrain (ran slowly but far down slope, not large enough to knock a skier off their feet)
- Small cornices and windlips at ridgetop
- No evidence of wind slabs
- Right side up storm snow and good snowpack structure overall
- Unreactive results from hand tests and shovel tilt tests
- Roller balls and pinwheels on steep south facing slopes below treeline
- Column test results: CT22 non-planar break (BRK) ↓ 30 cm, CT 28 resistant planar (RP) ↓ 75 cm, ECTX x2.
- Good riding conditions on groomed and ungroomed snowmobile trails
Cloud Cover:50% of the sky covered by clouds
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static