You are here
Conditions Before Storm at Castle Lake
If skiing hard supportable icy crusts is your thing Castle Lake was the place to be today. The following conditions were observed on a quick walk up near Heart Lake:
- Height of snow at 6,000 feet below Heart Lake (HS): 40-45 inches (100-120 cm)
- Smooth supportable ice on Castle Lake
- Rain runnel snow below 6,500 feet
- Large cornice forming on north side of Middle Peak's ridge above Heart Lake (see picture below)
- Very hard and icy supportable snow on north and west facing aspects to 5,800 feet.
- Light wind out of the west.
Always give ridge lines with cornice formations respect. These masses of snow deposited by the wind are hazardous. Travel directly under is not recomended. Overhanging cornices can claps and could cause damage.
- Mostly clear, scattered clouds
- Locally gusty and windy along ridges
- Temps below freezing