You are here
Conditions Update - Mount Shasta & Castle Lake
Location Name:Middle Peak, Castle Lake and Green Butte, Mount Shasta
Date and time of observation:Fri, 02/07/2020 - 1:30pm
Observation made by:Forecaster
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 13' 22.9656" N, 122° 23' 15.27" W
Conditions from Mount Shasta:
- Evidence of strong wind: sastrugi, hard wind board, variable surface textures.
- Surface Penetrability: Ski/boot: 0-2 inches
- Scored west and north facing aspects. Salt and pepper rock and snow configuration on NW. Many obstacles exist.
- Softening south and east facing slopes. Warmer daytime temps and cooler nights have allowed for corn snow to begin to form.
Conditions from Castle Lake
- A shallow and well-worn snowpack remains.
- Many obstacles such as bushes, rocks, and icy patches are melting out and presenting as travel hazards.
- North facing terrain remains firm and icy.
- South facing terrain is soft and moist.
- Variable surface textures: old rain runnels, sastrugi, with occasional smoother patches.
We had beautiful blue skies and calm winds for most of the afternoon.
Air temperature:Above Freezing
Air temperature trend:Warming