You are here
East of Mount Shasta - Northeast Crest Conditions
Location Name:South Face of Rainbow Mountain
Region:East of Mt Shasta
Date and time of observation:Thu, 01/24/2019 - 1:00pm
Observation made by:Forecaster
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 28' 18.804" N, 121° 57' 17.262" W
South face of Rainbow Mountain on 1.24.19
- Old, broken cornices and avalanche crown lines continue be observed from last weekend.
- Below 7,000 feet, deep rain runnels, widespread glide cracks and massive slumping of the snowpack exists from our January 19th rain on snow event.
- Corn snow has been shaping up on supportable, southerly surfaces near and above treeline. Minor roller balls were observed on steeper, protected, sunny slopes.
- Icy surfaces beneath trees and also along ridgelines
- Breakable crust on shadier slopes
- Evidence of high winds with needle casts and broken limbs on snow surfaces
- No signs of instability
- Sunny and warm with a cool breeze out of the northwest
- Clear, unobscured skies
- No precip or blowing snow
Air temperature:Above Freezing
Air temperature trend:Warming