You are here
Eddy Mtns - Parks Creek Summit
Location Name:Parks Creek Summit
Date and time of observation:Mon, 03/16/2020 - 1:30pm
Observation made by:Public
Red Flags:Whumphing noises, shooting cracks, or collapsingRecent loading by new snow, wind, or rain
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 20' 34.5084" N, 122° 32' 15.972" W
03.16.2020 - Parks Creek Summit area
- Parked 5,700 feet, just shy of Caldwell Lakes trailhead (see map photo) - At parking location, 12 inches (30 cm) of new snow that settled down to about 6-8 inches (20cm) by our late afternoon return
- 12 - 14 inches (35cm) near Parks Summit trailhead
- Productive, gusty E/NE winds transporting snow.
- Firm, hollow wind slabs 2-3 feet deep observed in leeward W-NW-N facing terrain. Able to easily trigger wind slabs within low density snow below firm upper layers of wind slab on small, test slopes. (see photo)
- Skin track blown back in after 1.5 hours near/above treeline
- Localized winds, some areas just adjacent not wind affected.
- Calm wind and poor slab characteristics below treeline.
- Sun came out for a few hours mid-day, but always low and high clouds in the sky.
- A totally obscured sky and light showers by mid-late afternoon.
- Temperatures stayed cool, snow still holding on trees.