You are here
Location Name:Gray Butte
Date and time of observation:Sat, 03/02/2019 - 4:00pm
Observation made by:Forecaster
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 20' 44.4408" N, 122° 11' 46.1112" W
Observations on tour from Mount Shasta Ski Park parking lot to summit of Gray Butte:
- Winds: Calm, West
- Temp: Warming temperatures above freezing
- Surface textures were variable with creamy warm soft snow over a supportable crust above 7,000 feet.
- Wet heavy snow below 7,000 feet
- Settlement cones were seen around tree wells.
- Warming temperatures caused trees to shed large amounts of snow below 7,000 feet.
- Wind affected areas were not reactive to ski trigger.
- No signs of instabilities.
- Height of snow near summit of Gray Butte: > 500 cm (> 197 in), could not hit ground.
- Right side up snow pack near treeline: Fist to 1 finger hardness
- Column tests on south-west aspect at 7,900 feet did not produce notable results:
- CTM 11 Taps Sudden Planar Break (CTM SP) ↓ 38 cm (14 inches).
- CTH 28 Taps Sudden Planar break (CT21 SP) ↓ 78 cm (30 inches).
- ECTN ↓ 38 cm (14 inches).
- Late afternoon, below treeline snow surfaces were wet and heavy.
- Settlement cones noted on tree wells.
- No signs of recent avalanches, though visibility was limited.
A warming trend and misty rain were observed up to 7,000 feet. Low visibility and calm winds were observed at 8,000 feet.
Cloud Cover:100% of the sky covered by clouds
Precipitation:Mixed rain and snow
Accumulation rate:Less than 1 in. per hour
Air temperature:Above Freezing
Air temperature trend:Warming