You are here
Gray Butte - Propagating Cracks and Wind Slabs
Location Name:Gray Butte
Date and time of observation:Sun, 02/10/2019 - 3:00pm
Observation made by:Professional Observer
Whumphing noises, shooting cracks, or collapsing
Recent loading by new snow, wind, or rain
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 21' 4.464" N, 122° 11' 31.3584" W
Observations on tour of Gray Butte:
- Small wind slabs and cornices reactive to ski trigger, slabs 6 - 18 inches.
- Shooting cracks and blocking.
- No natural avalanches seen near or above treeline.
- Temperature gradient conducive to faceting, but no signs of faceting down to February 2nd rain crust.
- Moderate to strong westerly winds transporting snow.
- Northwest aspects becoming scoured.
- Above treeline snow surfaces becoming wind affected.
- Height of snow (HS): 330 cm (130 in).
- Ski penetration (PS) / boot penetration (PB): 6 inches / 24 inches.
- Column test results:
- ECTN12 ↓ 27 cm, ECTN ↓ 26 cm, CT11 ↓ 27 cm BKN, CT 18 ↓36 cm BKN, STMx2 ↓ 90 cm @ 2/2/19 rain crust
Cloud Cover:50% of the sky covered by clouds
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static