You are here
Gray Rock Lakes
Location Name:Gray Rock Lakes / Castle Lake
Date and time of observation:Mon, 02/04/2019 - 2:00pm
Observation made by:Professional Observer
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 12' 56.6316" N, 122° 25' 7.7124" W
Observations from a snow survey tour up to Gray Rock Lakes and over to Castle Lake:
- Height of snow (HS): 254 cm (100 in).
- Ski penetration (PS): 10 cm (4 in).
- Overhanging cornices on northerly aspects, growing with moderate southerly winds. Easy to break at overhang, but otherwise stubborn.
- No cracking, blocking, or whumphing observed.
- Very small wind slab (< D1) triggered on westerly aspect.
- Right side up snow pack. No notable signs of instability.
- Castle Lake Road open and plowed.
Cloud Cover:75% of the sky covered by clouds
Accumulation rate:Less than 1 in. per hour
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static