You are here
Green Butte, Mount Shasta (Powder Bowl)
DATE: February 18, 2020 (20200218)
TIME: 1500 hrs
OBSERVER: Sorenson, Beverly
LOCATION: Green Butte
SKY CONDITION: Clear
PRECIPITATION TYPE/RATE: None
BLOWING SNOW: None
SURFACE PENETRABILITY: 0-4 inches (10 cm)
HEIGHT OF SNOWPACK (HS): ~55 inches (140 cm) on ridgeline 8,000 feet
HEIGHT OF NEW SNOW (HN): 0
WIND: Calm - variable light breeze above treeline on the ridge.
- Decent melt-freeze conditions and corn-like snow below 9,000 feet on south and southeast aspects.
- Surfaces remain firm on aspects that did not have a direct solar influence.
- A mix of icy patches and raised sastrugi scabs remain on ridges
- Chicken heads and ice forms provide challenging skinning conditions above treeline on Green Butte Ridge (Broadway).
- No sign(s) of avalanche danger.