You are here
Lower Casaval Ridge (Giddy Giddy, Gulch)
Location Name:Lower Casaval Ridge (Giddy Giddy, Gulch)
Date and time of observation:Thu, 01/23/2020 - 11:40am
Observation made by:Public
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 22' 34.6116" N, 122° 13' 41.3148" W
Observations on Lower Casaval Ridge (Giddy Giddy, Gulch) :
- TIME: 20200123, 1140
- ASPECT: WSW
- ELEVATION: 8,200 ft
- SKY: Obscured, foggy - cloud layer near 8,500 feet
- PRECIPITATION: S -1 (<1 cm/hr) Lightly snowing at 1150 hours
- BLOWING SNOW: No
- BOOT / SKI PENENTRATION: 34 cm (12 in), 10 cm (4 in)
- HEIGHT OF SNOW (HS): 170 cm (67 in)
- WIND: Calm to light, variable direction
- Light wind effect on the ridgeline; some areas with sastrugi and wind board were observed.
- Smooth surface snow textures remain in most places.
- Melting snow was falling from trees.
- Roller balls on south facing aspects were observed.
- A zipper thin rain crust exists 9 inches down.
- A sugary faceted layer exists below a crust layer 26 inches down.
Cloud Cover:100% of the sky covered by clouds
Accumulation rate:Less than 1 in. per hour
Air temperature:Above Freezing
Air temperature trend:Warming