You are here
Mount Shasta: East Side & Ash Creek Butte
Location Name:Ash Creek Butte
Region:East of Mt Shasta
Date and time of observation:Tue, 12/31/2019 - 1:00pm
Observation made by:Public
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 26' 50.4924" N, 122° 2' 57.0444" W
12.31.19 - East Side / Ash Creek Butte
- Pilgrim Creek Snowmobile Park open, parked and launched from here. Military pass road plowed due to logging but packed snow/ice allowed for OSV travel. Ash Creek Butte loop groomed 12/31 and portions of 19 road (Military Pass)
- Average snow depths 3-4 feet along higher terrain, 1-2 feet lower elevations. Still plenty of obstacles showing or just beneath snow surfaces.
- Heavy rime plastered vegetation/rocks
- Scoured, very icy ridgelines, top half of bowls, all aspects. Boot penetration 0-6 inches.
- Small, patchy, soft to hard wind slabs near/above treeline, difficult to trigger
- Variable snow below treeline: soft, firm wind slabs, crusts
- North/Northwest wind, 10-20 mi/hr over ridgetops, gusting to 25-30 mi/hr. Light wind below treeline.
- Wind blowing snow visible, little to no loading
Cloud Cover:25% of the sky covered by clouds
Air temperature:Above Freezing
Air temperature trend:Warming