You are here
Northside Access and Conditions
Location Name:Northside Mt Shasta
Date and time of observation:Thu, 03/05/2020 - 1:30pm
Observation made by:Forecaster
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 28' 6.7944" N, 122° 10' 25.8528" W
3.05.2020 - Access to the Northgate Trailhead and General Conditions
- 5.5 miles from highway 97 to the beginning of patchy snow
- 7.3 miles to impassable snow (1.7 miles of snow covered road to the trailhead)
- 4wd recommended for last 1.3 miles
- The north side of the mountain has a very thin snowpack. All bergshrunds and some crevasses are exposed. This side of the mountain is the rain shadow and also gets pounded by northwesterly wind.
- Today was very windy out of the south
- Large icy patches are visible on the Hotlum Glacier
- Climbing conditions on the Hotlum/Bolam route and others might not be too bad in that surfaces are supportable, but would expect increased rock fall hazard along with firm, icy snow surfaces. A slip/fall could host high consequence.
- Military Pass is closed.
Air temperature:Above Freezing
Air temperature trend:Cooling