You are here
Old Ski Bowl - Approaching Weather
Location Name:Old Ski Bowl
Date and time of observation:Fri, 02/10/2023 - 1:00pm
Observation made by:Forecaster
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 22' 37.2216" N, 122° 12' 17.784" W
With some weather expected overnight through tomorrow, Nick and I chose to assess the Old Ski Bowl for current surface and wind conditions.
- Below and near treeline, wind was light to calm with no wind effect on the surface. Surprisingly soft snow could be found in the trees, while open areas had a surface sun crust.
- Above treeline, surface conditions were expectedly variable. Large sections of ice, sastrugi, and wind deposited snow could be found across the upper Old Ski Bowl. Snowmobile penetration ranged from 4 inches of wind effected snow to no penetration on ice. Wind was light out of the south.
- Visibility changed quickly during the day. Clouds passed through, obscuring any visibility in the Old Ski Bowl, and later clearing to blue skys with excellent visibility of the upper mountain.
- Clouds could be seen developing to the west, with some possible precipitation over the Eddy Mountains.
No signs of snowpack instability were observed.
- Observation Location: Old Ski Bowl
- Elevation: 9,000 feet
- Date: 20230210
- Time: 1300
- Observer: S. Clairmont and N. Meyers
- Sky Conditions: Broken (BKN)
- Current Precipitation: Type - NO
- Air Temperature: 23 °F
- Surface Penetration: Snowmobile penetration = 0 - 4 in (0 - 10 cm)
- Total Snow Depth (HS): 129 in (328 cm)
- 24-hour New Snow Depth (HN24): 0 in (0 cm)
- Wind Direction: SE
- Wind Speed: Light (L), 1-16 mi/hr, twigs in motion
Cloud Cover:75% of the sky covered by clouds
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Cooling