You are here
A Quick Tour of the Old Ski Bowl
Location Name:Old Ski Bowl, Grey Butte
Date and time of observation:Wed, 03/14/2018 - 9:00pm
Observation made by:Professional Observer
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 22' 11.2368" N, 122° 12' 1.332" W
Conditions in the Old Ski Bowl and Green Butte Ridge:
- Height of storm snow (HST): 50 cm (20 in), 7600-8500 ft.
- Right side up snowpack.
- New snow well bonded with old snow.
- No signs of storm slabs.
- Little effects of wind. Small cornices and wind pillows on northerly and easterly facing aspects above treeline.
- No obvious signs of instability below and near treeline. Riding rollovers on steep inconsequential slopes yielded no failures.
- Hand tests stubborn to trigger.
- Above treeline: D1 sized point releases in Powder Bowl, D1 point release and possible D1 slab avalanche off of Sargent's Ridge into Avalanche Gulch.
- Skiers reported minor wind affected snow on Green Butte Ridge and thin zipper crusts on sun facing aspects with 20 cm of ski penetration with 4F hardness.
Cloud Cover:100% of the sky covered by clouds
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static