You are here
Ski Park During the Storm
Location Name:Ski Park Douglas and Coyote Backside
Date and time of observation:Mon, 01/03/2022 - 4:00pm
Observation made by:Public
Whumphing noises, shooting cracks, or collapsing
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 20' 3.138" N, 122° 11' 36.5208" W
At 3:30 p.m. on the backside of Coytoe Butte near treeline:
- Elevation: 6,500 ft
- Aspect: N/NE
- Height of New Snow (HN24): 4-6 in (10-15 cm)
- Height of Snow: 51 in (130 cm).
- Windslab development ontop of previous surface crust. Easy initiation on new snow/old snow interface.
- ECTN10 @ old new snow interface.
- Shovel shear test demonstrated touchy release near treeline.
- Shooting cracks and blocking observed.
- Rapid wind transport from the SW-S
At 4 p.m. near the top of Douglas Lift:
- Elevation: 6,600ft
- Aspect: E
- Rapid loading
HN24: 9 in Coytote Base
HN24: 7 in Douglas Top
Morning: 1-2 in/hr; afternoon 2 in/hr
Cloud Cover:100% of the sky covered by clouds
Accumulation rate:Greater than 1 in. per hour
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static