You are here
Snowpack at Gumboot and Cliff Lakes
Location Name:Gumboot and Cliff Lakes
Date and time of observation:Tue, 03/05/2019 - 3:00pm
Observation made by:Professional Observer
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 12' 27.0792" N, 122° 30' 39.4128" W
Observations near Gumboot and Cliff Lake:
- Height of snow (HS): 380 cm (150 in).
- Height of new snow (HN): 5 cm (2 in).
- New moist snow sits atop widespread 12 cm (5 in) melt-freeze crust.
- Except for melt-freeze crust, snow pack is right side up to 2/13/19 rain crust ↓ 155 cm (61 in).
- Results of column tests (CT), extended column tests (ECT), deep tap tests (DT), and shovel shear tests (ST):
- CT12x2 RP ↓ 17 cm (7 in), failing on 4F hard decomposing fragments (DF).
- CT28 RP ↓ 70 cm (28 in), failing at slight density break.
- ECTN12 ↓ 17 cm (7 in), failure propagated about 50 cm.
- DTNx2, STH, focusing on old 2/13/19 rain crust.
- Similar results were found in Cliff Lake basin.
- Signs of an old R4/D3 slab avalanche were seen at Cliff Lake. Cracked the lake ice. Most probably occurred last week 2/27/19 around the same time as the Left Peak avalanche at Castle Lake.
Cloud Cover:100% of the sky covered by clouds
Accumulation rate:Less than 1 in. per hour
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static