You are here
Location Name:Gray Butte
Date and time of observation:Fri, 03/23/2018 - 11:30pm
Observation made by:Forecaster
Red Flags:Whumphing noises, shooting cracks, or collapsingRecent loading by new snow, wind, or rain
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 20' 44.52" N, 122° 11' 44.0592" W
- Minor cracking in snow surfaces above 7,500 feet around tree wells and on small test slopes/skin track switchbacks
- Loose dry sluffs easily triggered on steep slopes below/near treeline
- Snow, heavy at times, with 4-6 inches observed at 1630 hours at 8,000 feet.
- Drifts 1 to 2 feet deep
- .47 inches of water recorded over the past 24 hours
- 17 inches of new snow on top of hard, old snow
- Southwesterly winds avg 17 mph with gusts 30-40 mph
- Snow heavy at times yesterday afternoon.
- Temps in the high teens def F.
Cloud Cover:100% of the sky covered by clouds
Accumulation rate:Greater than 1 in. per hour
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static