You are here
Storm Slabs on McKenzie Butte
Location Name:McKenzie Butte
Date and time of observation:Wed, 02/13/2019 - 2:00pm
Observation made by:Professional Observer
Recent loading by new snow, wind, or rain
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 19' 0.0984" N, 122° 11' 38.0004" W
Observations on McKenzie Butte:
- Height of snow (HS): 230 cm (91 in).
- Height of storm snow (HST): 53 cm (21 in).
- Blocking snow within new snow.
- Ski tests in low angle terrain indicate storm slabs up to 53 cm (21 in) deep.
- Hand tests yielded easy failures down 53 cm.
- Column tests indicate very touchy storm slabs releasing on Monday's freezing drizzle breakable ice layer. Column tests conducted in two locations yielded the same results. Failures all occurred on isolation (see test profile below):
- ECTPV x 4 ↓ 53 cm, CTC SC x 3 ↓ 53 cm, CTC SC x 1 ↓ 39 cm
Cloud Cover:100% of the sky covered by clouds
Precipitation:Mixed rain and snow
Accumulation rate:Less than 1 in. per hour
Air temperature:Above Freezing
Air temperature trend:Warming