You are here
Location Name:Sun Bowl
Date and time of observation:Tue, 02/20/2018 - 10:00pm
Observation made by:Professional Observer
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 22' 0.4548" N, 122° 13' 3.9036" W
Observations of conditions in and near Sun Bowl:
- There is a surprising large but isolated overhanging cornice on an east facing aspect of upper Sun Bowl. New snow from Sunday's storm was deposited in starting zones just below the ridgetop which may have formed small wind slabs, but no evidence of wind slabs on similar aspects were found in lower Sun Bowl. There is a lot of exposed rock in runout zones.
- Broadway ridge is a treacherous mix of ice and rock. Sun Bowl is best approached from below.
- No wind transport of snow was observed.
- No signs of instability were observed.
- There has been little to no snow settlement. Snow remains dry. There is generally two to three inches of snow from Sunday below 9000 ft but plenty of spots where firm and icy underlying surfaces are exposed. Skiing it was almost pleasant particularly on low angle terrain. Route finding is needed to avoid hidden obstacles once below treeline. Bring your rock skis.
Cloud Cover:75% of the sky covered by clouds
Accumulation rate:Less than 1 in. per hour
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static