You are here
Tales from the East Side
Location Name:Ash Creek Butte
Region:East of Mt Shasta
Date and time of observation:Mon, 12/20/2021 - 1:00pm
Observation made by:Forecaster
96067 Mount Shasta , CA
United States41° 27' 6.8688" N, 122° 2' 43.2024" W
On a tour out to Ash Creek Butte we saw the following:
- Road 19 is thin and icy to the first fork, then good snow and groomed trails can be found. Trails are clear of downed trees. Logging operations are in progress. Park at the snowmobile park.
- Off road travel is not recommended on snowmobiles due to a thin snowpack.
- A mix of snow surfaces will be found: low density, chalky, thin crusts.
- Snow depth varies from 70 cm to 140 cm.
- Southeast wind blowing snow over ridge lines.
- Medium column test failures on old sugary snow. No propagation.
- Observation Location: Ash Creek Butte
- Elevation: 7,400 ft
- Date: 20211220
- Time: 13:00
- Observer: Aaron Beverly
- Sky Conditions: Scattered (SCT)
- Current Precipitation: Type - NO
- Air Temperature: 27 °F
- Surface Penetration: Ski penetration (PS) = 3 in (7 cm)
- Total Snow Depth (HS): 27-55 in (70-140 cm)
- 24-hour New Snow Depth (HN24): 0
- 24-hour New Snow Water Equivalent (HN24W): 0
- Wind Direction: SE
- Wind Speed: Light (L), 1-16 mi/hr
- Column & Block Tests:
- Slope Angle & Aspect: (28º, NE)
- CT12 SP ↓ 40 in (100 cm)
Cloud Cover:75% of the sky covered by clouds
Air temperature:Below Freezing
Air temperature trend:Static